This patient information on Cobalt Chloride is provided by John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. a board certified Dermatologist and skin care specialist based in Orlando, Florida. This information is not intended as a substitute for the medical advice or treatment of a dermatologist or other physician.
The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to Cobalt chloride. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of Cobalt chloride to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always "remembers" and you will be Cobalt chloride sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.
Cobalt is a metal widely used in alloys. It is also a component in some paints and pigments used to produce a blue color. The most common sources of skin exposure are nickel-plated objects.
Where is chemical found?
Polyester resin industry
Pottery (wet clay)
Hints on avoiding chemical:
Minimize contact with most metallic objects, especially jewelry. You should substitute metallic costume jewelry with sterling silver, platinum or plastic. Choose products listed only on your personalized contact allergen database, which has been provided to you.
Products listed on your contact allergen resource database will be free of Cobalt Chloride and safe to use.
It may take 2 to 3 weeks of avoiding exposure before improvement of your eruption begins.
Metal objects that must be used (like keys) can be covers with layers of nail polish or other lacquer exposure.
Other names you may see this chemical listed as:
Possible Occupational Exposure:
Separating, Filtering and Clarifying Machine Operator