This patient information on Imidazolidinyl Urea is provided by John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. a board certified Dermatologist and skin care specialist based in Orlando, Florida. This information is not intended as a substitute for the medical advice or treatment of a dermatologist or other physician.
The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to Imidazolidinyl urea. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of this Imidazolidinyl urea to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take several exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always "remembers" and you will continue to be Imidazolidinyl urea sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.
This chemical is used most commonly in as a cosmetic preservative. It is known for being nontoxic, non-irritating and a relatively non-sensitizing agent.
Where is chemical found?
Bronzes and tanning cream
Eye makeup (liners, shadows, mascara)
High quality paper
Moisturizer Mouth wash
Smoke from wood, coal or charcoal fires
Hints on avoiding Chemical:
Choose products listed only on your personalized Contact allergen database, which has been provided to you. Products listed on your contact allergen resource database will be free of Imidazolidinyl urea and safe to use.
Please be aware that if your spouse or significant other skins care products that contain this chemical skin to skin transfer may occur to you.
Be aware of products that are labeled "hypoallergenic" as these may contain imidazoldinyl urea.
Avoid related substances like formaldehyde and other formaldehyde releasing preservatives found in cosmetic and topical skin care products.
Other names you may see this chemical listed as: