This patient information on Lanolin Alcohol is provided by John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. a board certified Dermatologist and skin care specialist based in Orlando, Florida. This information is not intended as a substitute for the medical advice or treatment of a dermatologist or other physician.
The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to Lanolin alcohol. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of Lanolin alcohol to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always "remembers" and you will continue to be Lanolin alcohol sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.
This chemical is derived from the fleece of sheep. It is used as a vehicle in many topical medications, cosmetics, and skin care products.
Where is chemical found?
Cutting oil fluids
Metallic corrosion preventatives
Pressure sensitive adhesives.
Wool fat, wool grease, wool wax
Hints on avoiding chemical:
Choose products listed only on your personalized contact allergen database, which has been provided to you. Products listed on your contact allergen resource database will be free of Lanolin alcohol and safe to use.
Please be aware that if your spouse or significant other uses topical skincare products that contain this chemical skin to skin transfer may occur to you.
It may take 2 to 3 weeks of avoiding exposure before improvement of your eruption begins.
Other names you may see this chemical listed as:
Lantrol (dewaxed lanolin)
Possible Occupational Exposures:
Hairdressers & Cosmetologists