This patient information on Neomycin sulfate is provided by John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. a board certified Dermatologist and skin care specialist based in Orlando, Florida. This information is not intended as a substitute for the medical advice or treatment of a dermatologist or other physician.
The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to Neomycin sulfate. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of Neomycin sulfate to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always "remembers" and you will be Neomycin sulfate sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.
The chemical is a widely used antibiotic use in both prescription and over the counter medicines.
Where is chemical found?
Antibiotic creams, powders, ointments
Dental root canal work
Hints on avoiding chemical:
Choose products listed only on your personalized contact allergen database, which has been provided to you. Products listed on your contact allergen resource database will be free of Neomycin sulfate and safe to use.
Please be aware that if your spouse or significant other uses topical skincare products that contain this chemical skin to skin transfer may occur to you.
It may take 2 to 3 weeks of avoiding exposure before improvement of your eruption begins.
Notify your health care providers of your allergy and request different antibiotics.
Other names you may see this chemical listed as:
Possible Occupational Exposures: