Orlando PATCH TEST INSTRUCTIONS
Your skin condition may be caused by an allergic response to chemicals you come in contact with. The method to obtain proof of a possible contact dermatitis is to apply patch tests. Sticky patches will be applied to your back that contains different common chemicals found in household end work environments. A positive test reaction will look like a red patch and is sometimes itchy.
PATCH TEST PROCEDURES
Patch Testing requires 3 office visits in one week. Test allergens will be taped to your back on (1st visit). The patches will be removed in 48 hours (2nd visit) and you will need to return the next day for the doctor to do the final reading (3rd visit). On rare occasions a fourth check may be needed at 6 days.
Final Visit: If you have positive reactions, Dr. Meisenheimer will prepare information handouts on the chemicals you are sensitive to and also generate a list of safe products to use.
PATCH TEST INSTRUCTIONS
- The test will be applied to the upper beck area. If these areas are hairy they will need to be shaved prior to application.
- Please notify us if you ere pregnant.
- To prevent excessive sweating please refrain from exercising, performing hard work, taking a shower or hot bath. You may take e tepid bath. Do not get the patch test area wet.
- Do not take any cortisone medicine during the test. Call if you have any questions about your medications. You must be off oral cortisone (prednisone) for at least 2 weeks prior to this test.
- Avoid exposure of the back to the sun.
- If any patch burns and/or itches severely call the office for further instructions.
- Do not remove the patch.
- Do not rub or scratch the application zone. Itching is an indication of a positive response and scratching might alter the test result.
PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ON YOUR FIRST AND LAST VISIT
Please bring with you the following: topical medicines, eye drops, cosmetics, moisturizing creams, after shaves, perfumes, colognes, sunscreens, insect repellents or other products you or your spouse apply to the skin. If you have hand dermatitis please bring any gloves that you wear. Bring these items with you even if you have not used them recently or even if you do not think you have any problems with the item.
If you have any questions contact our office at 407-352-2444.
Tuesday (Patches applied)
Thursday (Patches removed 48 hr. reading)
Friday (72 hour reading by doctor results discussed)