This patient information on 2-Phenoxyethanol is provided by John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. a board certified Dermatologist and skin care specialist based in Orlando, Florida. This information is not intended as a substitute for the medical advice or treatment of a dermatologist or other physician.

The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to 2-Phenoxyethanol. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of 2-Phenoxyethanol to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always “remembers” and you will be Phenoxyethanol sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.

This chemical is an antibacterial and is most commonly found as a preservative in cosmetics and skin care products.

Where is chemical found?

Insect repellent
Perfume fixative
Toilet tissue

Hints on avoiding chemical:

Choose products listed only your personalized Contact Allergen Database, which has been provided to you. Products listed on you Contact Allergen Resource Database will be free of 2-Phenoxyethanol and safe to use.

Please be aware that if your spouse or significant other uses topical skin care products that contain this chemical skin-to-skin transfer may occur to you.

It may take 2 to 3 weeks of avoiding exposure before improvement of your eruption begins.

Other names you may see this preservative:

b-Hydroxyethyl phenyl ether
Ethylene glycol mono phenyl eth
Euxyl K 400
Phenoxethol Phenoxetol
Phenyl cellosolve

© John “Lucky” Meisenheimer, M.D.  2019                                   WWW.OrlandoSkinDoc.com