Euxyl K 400

This patient information on Euxyl K 400 is provided by John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. a board certified Dermatologist and skin care specialist based in Orlando, Florida. This information is not intended as a substitute for the medical advice or treatment of a dermatologist or other physician.

The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to Euxyl K 400. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of Euxyl K 400 to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always “remembers” and you will be Euxyl K 400 sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.

This chemical is used as a preservative that is most commonly found in cosmetics, skin care products and house hold products.

Where is chemical found?

Body lotions
Liquid detergents
Metalworking fluids
Moist toilet tissues

Hints on avoiding chemical:

Choose products listed only your personalized Contact Allergen Database, which has been provided to you. Products listed on you Contact Allergen Resource Database will be free of Euxyl K 400 and safe to use.
Please be aware that if your spouse or significant other uses topical skin care products that contain this chemical skin-to-skin transfer may occur to you.
It may take 2 to 3 weeks of avoiding exposure before improvement of your eruption begins.

Other names you may see this preservative:

1,2- dibromo-2, 4-dicyanobutane
Merquat 2200
Tektamer 38
Tektamer 38
Merquat 2200

Possible Occupational exposures:

Maintenance workers

© John “Lucky” Meisenheimer, M.D.  2019