Imagine a practice where the doctor still sees Patients and a receptionist (not a computer directory)
answers the phone. Call us for an appointment at 407-352-2444
The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to goldsodium thiosulfate. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of goldsodium thiosulfate to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always “remembers” and you will be goldsodium thiosulfate sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.
Most common source of contact with this chemical is jewelry, and dental materials and also gold injections for arthritis.
Where is chemical found?
Hints on avoiding chemical:
It may take many months after stopping exposure to gold for the dermatitis to clear.
Let you dentist know of this allergy.
Many individuals that have a positive patch test reaction to gold will not show any relevance to their skin dermatitis.
Gold filing does not need to be removed unless there is significant oral disease associated with a positive patch test.
Other names you may see this chemical:
Double thiosulfate of gold and sodium
Hyposulfite of gold and sodium
sel de Fordos et Gelis
Gold sodium thiosulfate
Potential Occupational Exposures:
© John “Lucky” Meisenheimer, M.D. 2019 WWW.OrlandoSkinDoc.com